The most anticipated update for DomiNations has been launched – World War – bringing us the amazing alliance vs. alliance battles and raising the challenge levels a lot in the game. Things are a lot more fun, as well as a lot more frustrating in some cases. But the Dominations Alliance Wars aka World War are here and I can finally share with you a complete guide to this brand new feature.
So read on for our complete DomiNations World War guide, with tips and tricks on how to win wars, how to help your alliance members the most and what to do in order to get the most out of this great new feature.
I believe that everybody knows right now what the World War really is in DomiNations, but we’ll go for a quick overview just in case: a World War can be started only by the leader of the alliance and it’s divided in two stages (two days): first day is the planning day where alliance members donate troops for defense and plan who to attack and how to do it better. The second day is when all hell breaks loose and members of each alliance start attacking the other alliance members. Each battle can be won with a maximum of 5 stars: for example, if a member of an alliance wins a battle in the war and gains 3 stars, he will win the three stars for their alliance. If another member attacks the same enemy and gets 4 stars, one extra stars will be added to the counter (so only new stars will be counted, which means that attacking the same weak player over and over again makes no sense).
Now that we know the basics, let’s go a bit more in depth and let’s check out some World War tips and tricks in order to make yourself as useful as possible during the event.
1. It’s extremely important to know that an Alliance War in Dominations is a team game. If your alliance members are not active and communicative, your chances of winning that war will go down a lot. So it’s important to be part of an active alliance with players of similar levels/ages in order to keep things as balanced as possible.
2. The planning day is vital for all Alliance wars. You should scout all players and decide who attacks who. There’s no sense in wasting attacks. Ideally, everybody attacks just once in an alliance war and gets the biggest number of stars required to win the war. Afterwards, if you want, you can attack whoever for extra loot. But in the DomiNations World War, it’s the stars that matter the most and you only have 2 attacks to make it count. Also, it’s worth noting that you can’t attack the same player twice, so make sure that you max out your star gains when you attack!
Also, during the planning day you should make sure to donate troops. Raiders and other weak troops make no sense here. Make sure you only send or request units that are as powerful as possible, both in defense and offense.
3. Your base design will probably be different from your regular base. Most people keep their headquarters unprotected in the base game, but headquarters become vital during a World War: with an unprotected headquarters, you can easily lose extra stars when attacked (the quick victory star). Therefore, build a base specifically for the war – layouts are coming soon! – and make sure that you protect your headquarters the best and leave resource buildings outside. General rules apply as well: make sure that you have as many “rooms” as possible, creating as many sets of walls for your opponents to destroy in order to get to you.
4. Potential cheat: I’ve heard of alliances dropping their crown numbers in order to “weaken” themselves for the matchmaking. My alliance hasn’t tried this since we all have too many crows to easily give them up, but it might be a strategy to get easier to destroy opponents. However, it’s not 100% certain that this method works as we don’t know exactly how the matchmaking process works. Still, crowns might matter even a bit, so you can try it for a war: have all your members lose 3-400 crowns by consecutively attacking players and intentionally losing battles and see how that goes! It might be worthwhile in the long run!
5. Who should you attack? If you have a solid alliance, you will have a clear target or multiple targets to attack. Even if you don’t, you should always go for that enemy that you think you can 5 star, but going for the weakest is not the best idea always. If you are a strong player and you 5 star the weakest opponent, one of your weaker allies will have no chance in getting any stars from stronger opponents. This means that you should always attack a player that you are sure none of the weakest players in your alliance could 5 star (or get a similar number of stars as you did).
6. How to select Generals and Blessings?
Blessings don’t work in the World War, so you can’t select any. Also, you can’t directly decide which general(s) to use – the game automatically selects your highest level general in combat – or the best two if you researched the Library perk.
7. What’s the point of the Command Post?
That’s where the loot is stored. However, the Command Post CAN be looted in regular multiplayer battles, so try to treat is as a better storage building and defend it behind walls (at least in your regular base).
These would be our tips and tricks for the DomiNations World War. Do you have other war suggestions for fellow players? Let us know by commenting below!